Manager’s Boot Camp
Don’t be left out of the exciting 2021 Managers’ Boot Camp.
Pharmacists promoted into management positions often find themselves challenged by tasks and responsibilities for which they lack specific training. While strong clinical acumen is an important competency for pharmacy managers, there are many other critical skills pharmacists must possess in order to be effective managers and leaders. Managers must understand how to build and leverage key relationships within the organization, build effective teams within their departments, lead and develop staff members, establish and implement new programs and services, track performance, and develop strategic plans for their departments. They must also be skilled at presenting ideas to senior leadership and understanding the factors that drive decisions of health system administrators in order to expand the services and contributions of the pharmacy department.
Managers’ Boot Camp sessions quickly fill to capacity.
The Managers’ Boot Camp workshop will be held immediately before the ASHP Conference for Pharmacy Leaders and is designed for managers, directors, and clinical leaders who are interested in developing the skills necessary to advance new services and programs within their organizations. This year’s program will feature instructional presentations and a workshop consisting of facilitated team-based projects and presentations focused on the following core areas:
- Application of systems thinking to improve safety and outcomes
- Action-oriented strategic planning – for managers to turn environmental changes into sustainable services and outcomes
- Accountability – Pharmacy finance and revenue cycle basics leadership success
- Alignment of skills and strengths – Building your team to meet the demands of tomorrow
Managers' Boot Camp learning objectives:
- Describe the use of systems thinking to improve safety and outcomes
- Assess financial and quality indicators that influence health-system administrator decisions in strategic planning
- Apply strategies to advance pharmacy services through staff engagement, customer feedback, and personnel management
- Identify behaviors needed for pharmacy managers to communicate the value of pharmacy to senior leadership and others
- Explain steps for development of a business plan for new or expanded services